Drayton Hall plantation is located in the "Low country" near Charleston, South Carolina. It was built for John Drayton. Construction began in 1738 (George Washington was 6 years old) and completed in 1742. A year before Thomas Jefferson was born and 25 years before Jefferson began construction on Monticello. Drayton Hall is still standing today. It is said to be haunted. In 1779 the British army arrived at Drayton Hall. In anticipation of their arrival, and the destruction they wrought, John and his family packed what they could and left. While crossing the west branch of the Cooper River at Strawberry Ferry, John suffered a seizure, died, and was burried in an unmarked grave.
The watercolor painting on this old book cover depicts the palladium mansion and some of the ghost whose spirits might dwell there. It has been drawn and written over in graphite showing a masonic square and compass, a crown and several spiritual beings. Also, penciled in is the notation, Great hall built by John Drayton. Construction began in 1738. Underneath the words John Drayton, B. 1715, D. 1779. In the upper right corner are listed john's four wives. His first wife Sarah Cattell, the daughter of a neighboring plantation owner; she and their two children died before 1740. In 1741 John Drayton married Charlotta Bull, daughter of South Carolina's Lt. Royal Governor William Bull. Charoltte died in 1743. In 1752, John married Margaret Glen, the sister og James Glen, the royal governor. Margaret died 20 years later in 1772. In 1775, John married Rebecca Perry, the 17-year old daughter of a neighboring plantation owner.